What a bubble waffle is and how to cook it using the easiest homemade recipe
Would you like to make a bubble waffle at home? This eye-catching recipe is native to Hong Kong. This curious waffle has triumphed worldwide not only for its flavour but also for how photogenic it is. To its picturesque bubble dough is added the most colourful filling that has nothing to do with Belgian waffles. Ice cream, chocolate, cream… Even salty flavours! There’s a bubble waffle for everyone!
The easiest bubble waffle recipe
The bubble waffle recipe is a piece of cake and affordable, it can be ready in only 15 minutes! Even so, you will need a bubble waffle maker to get the peculiar shape that an original bubble waffle has. Also, you can use a cake pop machine as an alternative. You have to keep in mind that bubbles would be bigger but quite similar. The taste would be the same!
To prepare bubble waffles for 4 people you will need:
- 2 cups of wheat flour (280 grams).
- 1 cup of icing sugar.
- 1 cup of milk (240 ml).
- 4 eggs.
- 2 tablespoons of oil.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch.
Steps to follow to prepare the best bubble waffles at home
- Whip all liquid ingredients together for two minutes to add as much air to the mix to get fluffier waffles. These ingredients are milk, oil, eggs and vanilla extract. If you wish, you can get even a fluffier result if you separate whites from yolks. Whip the whites until stiff peaks and mix it carefully with the dough afterwards.
- Add to the blender the cornstarch, sugar and sifted flour to reduce possible lumps. Beat until you add and mix all the ingredients to the dough. Once you do that, it is time to add the baking powder. In case you have decided to whip the egg whites until stiff peaks, you may add them to the mix now carefully.
- Baste the bubble waffle maker with oil and pour the dough. You might be careful to leave like 1/3 of the machine free due to the dough may expand during cooking.
- Close the maker and leave it until the bubble waffle is slightly brown.
- Remove the bubble waffle carefully from the maker and put it in a round container like a glass or a paper cone. It is so important to do it when it is still hot because it can be manipulated without any problem. In other words, the bubble waffle could break if it is not hot when you decide to manipulate it.
- After all these steps, it will be ready to fill!
- You can prepare a chocolate bubble waffle if you add a tablespoon of cocoa along with flour and sugar.
- Lactose intolerants can change milk to water or some vegetable milk.
Bubble waffle filling
You can be highly creative in the process of filling it. Those with a sweet tooth will pig out with this delicious recipe. Whipped cream could become the life of almost every bubble waffle filling recipes. For example: beat the cream with a tablespoon of sugar until it becomes whipped (like 400 ml or 2 cups of cream for 4 servings). Once your homemade whipped cream is ready, you can mix it with everything you like! We highly recommend chopped strawberries and drizzle with melted chocolate or chocolate syrup.
Furthermore, you can mix whipped cream with an Oreo package or cookies, crushing them into small pieces and keeping the big ones for decoration.
Another delicious option is to fill it with ice cream. You can add a scoop of ice cream and combine it with whipped cream, fruits, syrup… What best combines with the ice cream flavour you have chosen!
In addition to a delicious waffle, if you like to become it colourful and boast about a tasty snack on your social media you can decorate it with chocolate chips, M&M’s, Kit Kat bars, candies, fruit slices with shapes and much more!
Salty bubble waffle
The original bubble waffle recipe is sweet as well as it can be combined with almost everything. Nevertheless, the new flavours lovers have gone a little bit further, and now they are trying salty bubble waffles too. It isn’t weird as croissant combine well with ham, cheese and even veggies. Also, traditional waffles are mixed with every kind of salty products like ham, cheese or even fried chicken.
Do not hesitate to follow our recipe to get the best bubble waffle dough, which can be combined with different textures, flavours and colours. Once you get the hang of the formula, it would be so easy to make and enjoy them at home.